Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Whatever next?


I often say "I really need to write a blog about that".  Once upon a time I did.  Nowadays I get as far as writing the blog in my head but regrettably (or not, depending on your point of view) oftentimes I don't. Something came across my path just now that exercised me to the point of writing without even thinking about it first on a run, and I've not even been drinking.

I follow UCI_Overlord on Twitter. As I'm sure you know this isn't really Pat McQuack, but a fake Pat McQuaid account which is written, believe it or not, by a bloke from Bridgewater, NS who also writes (or at least edits and contributes to) to cyclimas.com which bills itself as Cycling Snark and Commentary.  I enjoy the snark but they also have some well-thought-out and written articles on the history of cycling.  I had the great fortune to run into UCI_Overlord's mum in the shop before Christmas and we had a great chat.  Nice lady, I hope she found Not Pat McQuaid something nice in the cycling line for Christmas.

Anyway, I was just checking out my Twitter and I see this from UCI_Overlord

Huh?  FIA as in Federation Internationale d'Automobile or whatever?  Yup, following the link gives you this....


IOC recognition of motorsport?  Citius in extremis, autem altius et fortius?  I think not.  Shome mishtake shurely.  It's not April Fool's but UCI_Overlord isn't above a little sarcastic silly buggers so there was a good chance I was being taken for the proverbial ride.  So I Googled FIA and when there searched for IOC and got to the same link.  Then I went the other way and Googled IOC, and then searched them for FIA and got this.  Getting the same story both coming and going leaves one with the distinct, and horrid, suspicion that unless UCI_Overlord has got really good at hacking, it's true.

What are the Olympics coming to?  Archery and shooting were always a bit of a stretch, but seeing as the original Olympic sports were all military disciplines, to a greater or lesser degree, then Archery was pretty much grandfathered in.  Synchronized Swimming?  I once tried to hold my breath that long and nearly passed out and so whilst it would normally fail on the subjectivity score (giving out medals based on "artistic merit" is surely somewhat flawed) I'm willing to cut them some slack.  Golf was the nail in the coffin; a good walk spoiled now has Olympic status.  Of course between the two there was letting professionals into the Olympics which might have increased the spectacle but at the expense of a little bit of the Olympics' soul.   

So now motorsport,  Lewis Hamilton as the Olympic Gold Medal Winner in F1, but will there be a ladies; division?  The only possible explanation is that the Olympics goes where the money is (and where the TV is right; this we know from experience).  Golf, motorsport.  What next?  La belle said poker.  You saw it here first.

Sigh

AD

No comments:

Post a Comment