Friday, September 23, 2011

World Duathlon Championships: pre-game


Yes I know, I've not been updating much recently. To be honest, it's been difficult. I don't have a lot of free computer time, and hence blogging suffers. i never realised how much work time blogging and triathlon took until I had a job where I was unable to get to a computer to anything other than check pricing and availability!

So, in Gijon, 48hrs from what is arguably the A race of A races in my racing "career", and I pinned on my first dossard in 1989! How am I feeling?

Well, kinda prepared. I did the Shubie Sprint two weeks ago, just to test the legs. The swim sucked, but it was my fifth swim in four years, and that included the Optimyz photo-shoot! I had a great bike-leg; it was hilly and I just rocketed through the field, from 44 to something like 7th. What gives, I thought I'd lost any kind of cycling legs years ago? I had a good run too, a 20 minute 5K , but that did include the world's worst T2 ever, but then that was part of the plan to doing Shubie in the first place; to do a real T2 in anger. I'd never raced in the Ronins before, and what's the good of a fast shoe if it takes you over a minute in T2 wrestling with the damn things? Might as well have slow shoes and enjoy the run! Still, I know what I screwed up and it won't happen in Gujon, I promise.

Last weekend I did my final 20 miler before the autumn's madness. I headed out with Ray Morehead and Denise Robson and we rattled off a repsectable 35 kms. Knowing Worlds would be a 2.5 hr race with a 5K at the end, when we hit 30kms I tried, and suceeded, in upping the pace for the final few kilometres. It felt pretty good, so I think I can head into the race on Sunday with some confidence in my own abilities to challenge the distance, if not with any pretensions of any kind of placing!

AD

No comments:

Post a Comment